My next thought was to focus on the knotwork and let it escape from the dresses, so I came up with the idea of making freestanding knots on a larger scale. I had just been working on this little piece
and really enjoyed it, so I used the same technique. First, I drew the knot - a triangle elongated as if to fit the bodice of a dress - and cut it out from felt which I painted with silk paints in red and yellow. I graduated the colour from red at the corners through orange to yellow in the centre.
Here you can see how I started with all the red areas and then worked through to orange and yellow, carefully blending as I went.